Options and Eligibility
Option 1: Staggered working hours
Staff members are expected to be present during a core period of the working day. The core period will be set at each duty station. Staff must complete the balance of working hours for each day before, after, or partly after, the core period.
Option 2: Compressed work week
All the hours that would normally have been worked during a period of ten working days are compressed into nine working days by distributing among these nine days the hours that would otherwise have been worked on the tenth day. This redistribution of normal working hours allows staff members, every other week, to take off the last day of the normal work week.
Option 3: Scheduled break for external learning activities
Staff members wishing to attend courses relevant to their professional development at universities or other institutions of learning may request breaks of up to three hours per day for a maximum of two days per week. The hours spent away from work during a particular week must be made up during that week.
Option 4: Work away from the office (telecommuting)
Where consistent with the nature of the work involved, staff members may spend up to two days per week working from an alternative work site, provided they have access to the necessary equipment and may always be reached by telephone or e-mail.
- FWA may be authorized in all departments, offices and missions of the Secretariat at the discretion of the Head of departments/offices/missions.
- If the usage of FWA is authorized in their Department/Office/Mission, staff members may discuss the feasibility of usage of FWA with their respective supervisor/first reporting officer.
Important to note:
- There is no right or entitlement to FWA. They are purely voluntary for all concerned.
- FWA require a written agreement between the staff member and his/her supervisor.
- Productivity and quality of outputs must be maintained at the same level or enhanced following the implementation of FWA .
- No extra costs may be incurred by the Organization as a result of FWA.
- Use of FWA requires careful planning and preparation on the part of all concerned.
- FWA can be suspended or revoked at any time, should business needs or performance concerns arise.