Candidates applying for General Service category positions are expected to have fulfilled the minimum requirements below:
- Having a high school diploma or equivalent
- Being at least 18 years old
- Having the minimum required work experience relevant to the job and its level
- Meeting the language requirements for the job. Most jobs require fluency in one of the two working languages, English or French.
- Successfully passing any specialised test required for specific functions. These tests are administered at the local duty station where you wish to apply.
- There might be additional requirements which are listed in the specific job opening. Always check to make sure you meet the minimum requirements for the job for which you are applying.
Verbal Reasoning Test (VRT)
The VRT is an entry assessment requirement for the candidates who have applied for and been deemed suitable for (i) Editorial and Desktop Publishing Assistant positions in the Text Processing Section and/or (ii) Desktop Publishing Assistant positions in the Desktop Publishing Unit of Department of General Assembly and Conference Management at United Nations Headquarters in New York.
Candidates who have passed the Verbal Reasoning part of the GGST are exempt from the VRT.
The VRT is a computer-based test administered in a proctored environment. It consists of 24 Verbal Reasoning questions which assesses a candidate’s ability to deal with job-relevant written documents. It is available in the six official UN languages.
VRT Sample Test
Trades and Crafts Test (TCT)
The TCT is an entry assessment requirement for the candidates who have applied for and been deemed suitable for positions of the Trades and Crafts (TC) category in the Office of Central Support Services (OCSS) at United Nations Headquarters (UNHQ) in New York.
The TCT is a computer-based test administered in a proctored environment. It consists of two sections: Numerical Reasoning and Situational Judgment. The Numerical Reasoning section assesses a candidate’s ability to work effectively with information presented in various formats, such as short texts, maps, diagrams, and images. The Situational Judgment section assesses the candidates’ ability to deal with work-related scenarios in accordance with the United Nations Core Values and Competencies.
Currently serving staff members who have passed the UNHQ Mechanical Comprehension Test (MCT) and encumber a TC post are exempt from the TCT in the event they apply for a TC category position and are deemed suitable.
Rostered candidates who have passed the MCT are exempt from the TCT in the event they apply for a TC category position their roster membership is associated with and are deemed suitable.
Incumbents of TC positions are required to take and pass the GGST if they wish to be considered eligible for other positions in the General Service and related categories as specified in the job opening.
TCT Sample Test
Data Assistant Test (DAT)
Passing of the DAT is a requirement for candidates who have applied for and been deemed suitable for positions of Data Analysis Assistant, Data Engineering Assistant and Data Science Assistant.
The DAT is a computer-based test administered in a proctored environment. It consists of 25 advanced numerical reasoning questions, which assess a candidate’s ability to work effectively with information presented in various formats, such as short texts, maps, diagrams, and images. The DAT is available in English and French.
DAT Sample Test
Security Officers Examinations
Potential candidates must meet the following requirements to be eligible for consideration for Security Officers positions at the entry level:
- Between 22 and 35 years of age at the time of application
- High School diploma
- Excellent physical condition
- At least two years' experience with a civilian police force or three years in a military police force. Candidates holding a degree in criminal justice with a minimum of 18 months’ experience in the security field will also be considered.
- Pass the United Nations Security Officer Test. The test is taken at the duty station in the locality where you wish to apply.
United Nations Online Examinations & Tests System
View this video to learn how to navigate thru the United Nations Online Examinations & Tests System for GS related tests.