You and family members who live with you may need a visa to enter the country of your duty station.  You may also need visas for official business trips. Always check with the local travel office or administrative office for visa information related to the location where you are serving.


Visa guidance for the UNHQ (New York) duty station

The Passport and Visa Unit of the Travel and Transportation Section processes the following:

  • U.S. visas for staff members, spouses and children under 21

    Visas for you, your spouse and your children under the age of 21 are obtained during the onboarding process when you are hired. At UNHQ, the HR partners liaise with the Passport and Visa Unit to secure a G-4 visa.

    After your arrival at UNHQ it is most important that you get registered with the U.S. Mission to the UN, to ensure that you will be able to renew your and your family’s G-4 visas upon expiration. Your HR partner will guide you through this process.

  • Visas and Laissez-Passers for staff members on official travel

    At UNHQ, the Passport and Visa Unit assists all UN staff with obtaining visas for entry to other countries for official business trips or training trips paid for by the Organization. More information can be found here: Passport and Visa Unit (link accessible on the UN network)

The Passport and Visa Unit is located at:

FF building, 2nd floor
304 E 45 Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenues)
New York, NY 10017 

Office hours: 
Monday - Friday, 9am – 4 pm

Appointments are required and can be scheduled using this booking tool:
Book an appointment with the Passport and Visa Team


The Visa Committee of the Department of Operational support assists staff members who are not United States nationals in obtaining from the United States of America, as host country, G-4 visas for their family members other than spouses and children under 21 years of age, and staff members who are holders of G-4 visas in obtaining G-5 visas for household employees.  The Visa Committee also assists with the reviews of USCIS Employment Authorization applications on behalf of eligible children and spouses holding the G-4 derivative visa.

Requirements and forms can be found in comprehensive information packets here: Visa Committee forms on iSeek (link accessible on the UN network), or if the staff member does not have access to iSeek, requirements can be requested by e-mailing

The Visa Committee is located at:
FF building, 2nd floor
304 E 45 Street (between 1st and 2nd Avenues)
New York, NY 10017 
You may visit the Visa Committee by appointment only.

How to request an appointment:

Step 1: Scan and email your applications to Visa Committee staff for a preliminary review. Forms are available on iSeek (link accessible on the UN network).

Step 2: Once an application is complete, you will receive a calendar invitation indicating a time slot for an in-person discussion and submission of the case within 48 hours. If you do not hear from us within 2 business days, please contact us again. 

Important documents: