Confidential HIV counselling
Staff Counsellor’s Office HIV and AIDS Helpline — (212) 963-4782
- Open to all UN staff, affiliates, and family members
- Conﬁdential personal counselling and information about prevention
- For the New York area, referrals to HIV physicians, therapists, support groups and a wide variety of community-based HIV/AIDS organizations.
UN Medical Services Division UNHQ
- Offers HIV counselling and information to staff members upon request. Please note that HIV screening is not required for medical clearances.
- Advises staff members and their families where they can go for voluntary HIV testing and counselling
- Organizes workshops, briefings and health fairs to provide information on HIV
- Offers free condoms as part of travel kits or provide condoms to anyone who needs them.
At other duty stations please enquire about the services related to HIV in the UN workplace.
Mandatory HIV Awareness Programme
All UN staff participate in a half-day training led by an instructor to equip you with basic knowledge of HIV concerning transmission, prevention, care and treatment; information about the UN’s policies, initiatives and services related to HIV; and to promote a culture of respect and understanding about people living with and affected by HIV.
For information on the HIV Awareness sessions in New York:
> HIV Awareness facilitators – global
The HIV Awareness session is offered periodically on a local schedule. To find an instructor led session in the area of your duty station, consult the directory of local UN Cares facilitators.
UN Cares e-course on HIV
Raising awareness about HIV continues to be a priority for the United Nations and the broader global community. UN Cares launched an e-course in 2013 containing the latest information on HIV as a workplace issue and is available in English and French. Access the e-course by registering through inspira.