To keep fostering the core value of multilingualism throughout the Organization and to expand the geographical reach of learning, the Office of Human Resources (OHR) is providing online language learning licenses in the official languages of the United Nations. These licenses are intended for Secretariat staff members residing in Duty Stations and Offices Away from Headquarters, where face-to-face language classes are not offered. Please note that these licenses are distinct from the online courses created, designed and delivered by the Language and Communications Programme (LCP). You can find the schedule of online courses here.
OHR is currently sponsoring a fixed-budget for these licenses for the UN Global Secretariat. The Language and Communications Programme (LCP) is managing the distribution of the licenses and monitoring their use in collaboration with various learning managers and language training focal points in the Global Secretariat. From the beginning of the project in 2017, the LCP has worked closely with the providers and students to support the use of the licenses.
If you are a learning manager or training focal point and would like to purchase additional licenses with your own budget or would like to know more about this opportunity, please contact the LLSU directly at LLSU@un.org
If you are a learning manager or training focal point in an UN agency, fund or programme and would like to piggyback off of the current contract, please contact the LCP at LLSU@un.org.
Highlights from 2017 until now
- 1700 licenses sponsored, distributed and monitored by OHR
- 800 licenses sponsored and distributed by DPO
- Licenses distributed to staff members in more than 106 countries
- Equitable gender balance in the distribution of licenses
- High usage rates seen among students
- Positive feedback from the students about the selected platforms
- Arabic - Pendragon (1-year license)
- Chinese - YoYo Chinese (1-year license)
- English - Education First (1-year license)
- French - Institut Francais (6-month license)
- Spanish - Instituto Cervantes (6-month license)