On 1 January 2017, phase two of the new common system compensation package, which has been approved by the General Assembly, will go into effect.
At that time, organizations of the UN common system (including the UN Secretariat) will implement changes affecting staff in the Professional category and above and in the Field Service and related categories:
- New unified salary scales in lieu of the existing dual scales
- New periodicity for some step increments
- New dependency allowances including a new dependent spouse allowance and a new single parent allowance
Accelerated step increments will be discontinued from 1 January 2017 onward
UN staff members will be able to see the changes reflected on their 2017 January payroll statement.
In order to prepare and to understand the changes, we strongly encourage all staff to visit the dedicated page on iSeek and learn more about how the new common system compensation package may affect them.
- Overview of the changes effective on 1 January 2017
- Resources are available at: iseek.un.org/icsc
- The page also links to an online salary and benefits calculator which allows you to check how the changes impact you.
The ICSC website features the full array of materials on the new common system compensation package.
HR Officers and Partners in all departments and entities have received briefings on the details of the changes and are available for staff to clarify any remaining individual questions on a case-by-case basis. In addition, many departments and entities are planning to hold information sessions and brown bag lunches to answer questions from staff. Staff members are encouraged to contact their local HR teams with any queries.